VISIT OUR WEBSITES
Growing Kids
Renewal

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday's Trendy Tip: Recycling

As you all know, we are in the business of recycling fashion.  It has become a growing trend in the past few years to go green and recycle everything imaginable...this week's trendy tip is all about things you can recycle that you may not have known before!

Did you ever wonder what you can do with all that dryer lint that seems to pile up?   For all of you who love to camp and hike, or just enjoy a campfire in general, I bet you didn't realize you could make a fire starter from dryer lint, a cardboard egg crate and some old candles.  I learned this from a woman I used to babysit for, these fire starters can save you a ton of money and are so easy to travel with!
Just leave an empty egg crate on top of your dryer for a week or two and fill it up as you go.
Once it is filled, melt down some old candles and pour the wax over the top of the lint.
After the wax has hardened you are ready to go, I like to cut them apart as I need them.

Voila!  Each one will burn for approximately 15-minutes which is long enough to start you a great fire :)
I have also heard that you can make the fire starters waterproof by cutting apart the cartons after step-1, tying them closed with dental floss, and submerging them completely in the hot wax...but I haven't actually tried it.  If you have please let me know how it went!


Our next recycling tip is for those of you who wear MAC makeup.  They run a program called "Back to MAC" which is actually really cool and I have utilized it numerous times over the years.  If you return 6-MAC primary packaging containers to a MAC counter, they will give you a free lipstick of your choice!  I always keep a bag in the drawer in my bathroom and when I need a new lipstick I cash them in.  This is what I found when I packed up to move back from California, looks like I'm up for 2 new lipsticks and I didn't even know it!


The last recycling tip for today is for all of the gardeners out there.  I don't know about you, but my husband and I eat yogurt every morning for breakfast.  That is 14-yogurt containers per week that just end up in the trash...since we purchased a house with a garden the size of our entire yard, I have been inspired to try to turn my black thumb green.  I have been scouring blogs and websites to learn as much as I can before I go planting my seedlings and I stumbled upon a great idea for those yogurt containers.  Instead of spending countless dollars on seedling cups, just poke holes in the bottom of your yogurt cups and get them started in there!


You can also recycle your popsicle sticks to help you label your cups.
Looks easy enough, I can't wait to give it a try this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment